Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wall Fun

When I started this project I found out that banging holes in walls is fun…. And now I know that writing on walls is also fun.

Writing on the walls hadn’t really occurred to me until I removed a strip of wallpaper that revealed not only Esther’s “signature” but a note from one of her friends too. That’s when I began to consider the possibilities….

Earlier I had found a cute little stick person scribbled on one of the walls but I can’t find it now, so I guess all those applications of enzyme wall paper removed him. Actually I was almost impressed that there wasn’t much writing on the walls. Then I realized that of course there isn’t. The bare walls were not often exposed; they were usually covered with wallpaper except for brief times in between re-decorating projects.

Writing on the walls is kind of like eating with my hands… it brings out the “bad kid” inside of me. Eating with my hands is perfectly acceptable in India though… (and I loved doing it while I was there.) I’m sure that writing on the walls is not.

Pounding holes in the walls was fun, but sort of tiring. Writing on them is much more fun and not tiring at all. I sure hope the paint will cover it without too much hassle. (Jay has his doubts.)

It was the holes in the wall that inspired me most. They made great mouths, eyes, or centers for flowers.

Our walls aren't as dirty as they look... a lot of what you see is remnants of the old wallpaper and/or glue. A lot of it is old patch plaster that Jay did to fill in nail holes from picture and poster hanging over the years. And yeah, some of it is mildew or other sorts of grime. Seriously, it looks worse in some of the pictures than in person. um hum.. yeah sure.



A happy wall.

Pretty flowers, almost like wallpaper!

Notes to my contractor

















Silencing my critics...

No comments: