Friday, March 28, 2008

Last Week... and my new desk top

Last week I finally got all the colored parts of the wallpaper off. The filmy little under-layer is still there in places and I’m debating about how much energy I’m going to put into getting it all off (or not). Sand paper is one option that I’m considering. I tried using the belt sander and it did a pretty good job, but the little bit of obsessive-compulsive disorder that I harbor in the recesses of my psyche resists abandoning the challenge of getting it all peeled off. Whatever route I take, the next step with the walls will be getting out the bucket of joint compound to start patching up holes and gashes. After contemplating that, I worked on sorting and “deleting” the unused shoes and clothes in my closet instead. Yeah, I was procrastinating.

Earlier in the week I decided I’d better do something with that door that Amon knocked over and put a hole in. Having it just sitting there staring at us, a reminder of fifty bucks wasted… was kind of a sore point with Jay and I need to keep my crew happy. I took it out of the frame and took the hinges off… I think it’s going to be my new desktop. All I need to do is get someone on my crew (hummm I wonder who?) to cut off about a foot on the end with the hole and about 2 inches off the back. Then it will fit nicely into that closet “computer nook”. The hole for the door knob will be go against the wall…. A perfect place to run electric cords through to connect the monitor or whatever. It all seems like fate to me. Thanks, Amon… you saved me from trying to figure out what I’d do for a desk top.


I’ll stain it and then put on several coats of polyurethane… put a little piece of edging on to cover up the hinge holes... then set it on top of a couple file cabinets, one on each end. Tada… instant custom made DESK. (These pictures were taken before I finished getting all the wallpaper off the closet walls.)


When I took the door frame into the “kids computer room” which has become the “misc-stuff storage room”, I realized I should have been a little more organized when I started stashing stuff in there. Before long I may not be able to open the door. It’s a good thing there are no kids and no kids’-computers that need to use that room anymore.

Over the weekend we did some more work. Well, mostly Jay did some more work and I piddled around, looked busy, and offered my support. More about that in my next post, coming soon.

No comments: