Thursday, March 6, 2008

OOpps! - Minor Bump in the Road

Remember this picture of the new door waiting to be installed? Hold that image in your mind.


Here is my tool organizational unit along with the vacuum cleaner (which just got off duty).

Amon stopped by to see how things were progressing. Now look at the next picture.

Notice anything different?

Yep. There is is… the proof of the door and the vacuum cleaner handle having a minor interaction. When Amon walked past the door he brushed against it and it fell over… right onto the vacuum cleaner. Oh well. Accidents happen, right? I felt really bad for Amon, and I know he felt bad too, but like I said. “oh well”. Jay was a little harder to convince of the “oh well”, but he eventually came around.

If we have to assign blame (which I think is rarely necessary) then we could blame Amon for brushing against it. OR we could blame Jay for not leaving it at a good enough "lean angle". Lastly, but least likely, we could blame ME for leaving the vacuum sitting there. I think we will just go with "Oh well" though.


Jay had the header up on the door opening and pretty much ready to hang the door. Oh Well.

Previously he had sealed the plastic in the gap of the ceiling. That other two by four you see will be harder to deal with. It’s apparently not attached to anything, just sort of hanging there. Jay will have to crawl up in the attic and put in some kind of support so that he can patch up the hole that it will leave (such as the one you see with the plastic).

Jay isn’t thrilled about going up into the attic. In years past he’s found big snake skins up there. We have at least one, maybe more black snakes that appear to live in the attic, especially in the winter time. Black snakes are good though… they eat mice. I will remind him of that and be extra glad that attic work is beyond my own technical ability.

Yesterday we got another new door and last night Jay put it in before anything unforeseen could happen to it. He thought it would be quick and easy, but… It wasn’t easy, nothing is ever easy. Because the walls are apparently not exactly level, perpendicular or whatever, the gaps were off… after a lot of fiddling with it (with me as his trusty assistant), he got it in.

I was on one side of the door and he on the other, trying to get the overlap and gap to measurements such as 5/16 on both sides of the door... giggling the little wooden wedge things (I can't remember what those things are called.). Can you believe 5/16ths? I needed a magnifying glass just to see the tape measure. 1/2 was not right... and once I had it at 5/8ths... WAY to much. I am not very good at the perfectionism routine when it comes to construction. I am selectively perfectionistic.

Here it is… looking “in”. That same tile will go over where the concrete floor is exposed. (We still have some from 25 years ago when we built the house.) The “kids’ bathroom is right past the brick, to the left. In case you are curious about the brick, it’s the wall behind our wood stove.


Here’s the door from inside the room, looking “out”.

Jay warned me this morning not to get energetic and start staining it. (I hadn’t planned to do ANYTHING in that room until after the wedding this weekend anyhow.) He said he needs to get some wood putty that will take stain to fill in all the little nail holes. Yeah. I knew that.

I’m very happy with my live in contractor.

And now, back to getting ready for the weekend.

No comments: