Monday, February 25, 2008

The Plan

Since we finally have an "empty nest" ...I've decided that we no longer need so many bedrooms and it's time to tear down some walls. Here is the floor plan of our house the way it is now... (click picture to enlarge)

(If you have clicked on the plan and enlarged it large enough to read the writing, you will notice the placement of Esther's room... that is wrong. That WAS her room when I made this a few years back, but since that time she and Naomi switched rooms. So... Esther's room, the one I am incorporating into My Space is the one at the far right that says "Naomi's Room". The room that says "Esther's room" in this drawing is actually the Guest Room now, and will remain that way.)

What you can't see is the attached garage which comes off the kitchen to the left. The garage isn't a garage at all right now. Many years ago we converted most of it to a room where we did home schooling. After that it became a bedroom for various kids who bounced in and out of the household. Then it became MY space where I have all my computer stuff, sewing machine, TV, various projects in various stages of completion (or abandonment) and so on. That's what it is now. My Space. After the remodel project, My Space will move and Jay can have his garage back. Here's the new plan... (click picture to enlarge)

Two of the kids' bedrooms (Amon's and Esther's) plus the hallway will become my NEW space. This is a pretty simple plan (I think) (I hope). Anyhow it seems fairly simple to me. I will knock down two walls...one between the kids rooms and the hallway and one between Amon's room and Esther's room. I will put a new door into it at the beginning of the old hallway, right after the door that goes into the "kids' bathroom.

The closets that are in Amon's room and Esther's room will become "nooks" ... one for TV stuff and the other for computer desk (which will also wrap around into an "L" shape against the back wall in Esther's room.)

The guest room will stay as it is so there will still be sleeping space for weekend company. The "kids computer room" behind the kitchen will stay also. There is a futon in there for overflow company but mostly it's just a storage area.

AND... We'll finally be getting new carpet in all the bedrooms. We've been waiting for MANY years to get new carpet, always saying, we'll do it when all the kids move out.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous! I want to knock down some walls! I'm sure it's tiring though!

Unknown said...

Not nearly as tiring as a lot of other things. It's fun. The tiring part (so far) is carrying off the old drywall (it's heavy) and that is all done now.

Unknown said...

You know, the whole star and cloud thing was weird, but I remember when I was younger and Ruth had all these dolphin and sunflowers around her room. I think I thought I had to have something to collect (a running theme to my room), and some how it ended up being those stars. Plus I could rearrange the stars to spell the names of the boys I liked!

Unknown said...

SO I think I got a little of that from papa...some of it is a need for perfection. If papa has anything like what I have, it's not that papa thinks you can't handle something, or you are not good enough to do it, but that he won't be able to make sure that it is being done how he in visions it. I have this issue. Dane will try to help me cook, and I won't let him because I feel like I can't make sure that what he is doing is perfect, or what I see in my head anyway. Same for cleaning the house. I also had trouble with group projects in high school because of this, and would end up doing the entire project on my own, because I didn't want anyone to mess with my creative "perfect" idea. It's a problem at times!

Unknown said...

Mom, I miss reading up on this blog. I hope papa can get on it soon!